#SixForSunday - Books That Made Me Cry

Sunday 1 July 2018


Today I am doing something that I should have done a long time ago, and that is jump on the #SixForSunday train that was started by my lovely pal Steph, you can check out her prompt post if you would like to start doing these tags yourself! As you can tell, we're talking about sad books this week and honestly, this is the perfect prompt for me because I love a book that can make you cry. 

So on with this weeks prompt!


1. Everything that Adam Silvera touches
This probably goes without saying. Adam Silvera is a genius and an incredibly talented author, but this man uses his powers for evil. I love everything he does and don't get me wrong, his books also have some of the sweetest, most smile inducing moments -but he also makes you cry buckets and it's the sort of emotion that stays with you. 

2. Release by Patrick Ness
Like Silvera, Patrick Ness is a very emotive writer and has reduced me to tears a number of times. Most recently though was with his latest book Release. He writes about difficult situations, death being very prominent, sexuality being another and it's done in a way that really makes you think. I admit I had to read Release a second time to fully appreciate how beautifully tragic it is, but during both reads, I cried and cried. 

3. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
TFIOS was one of the first YA books that really had an emotional impact on me. Something I love about YA is it's ability to make you feel as well as entertain you and The Fault In Our Stars does this so well, no matter how hyped you believe it to be -this book is devastating and I remember wanting to put it in the freezer and never open it again the first time I read it.

4. The Start Of Me and You by Jojo Moyes
This was somewhat unexpected because I read this book after seeing the heartbreaking adaptation starring Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin -an iconic duo, just saying. I enjoyed the film so much that I knew I had to pick up the book, since the usual rule of thumb is that the book is better, and honestly I think I enjoyed both equally and they definitely both made me ugly cry.

5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Perhaps an obvious one, but The Hunger Games was one of those books that was an experiment for me, this was the first dystopian novel that I ever really got into and I got into it HARD. It was such an emotional ride and I remember my hands shaking and heart racing basically from the moment the games began because I knew something bad would happen. It was intense. And when Rue died, the tears came and basically didn't stop for the rest of the book.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
I knew a Harry Potter book was going to be on this list, but I wasn't sure which one until I got to the end of this six for Sunday. It seems fitting that I go with the last book in the series. While there is a lot of deaths in the last book, the main reason I find it so heartbreaking is because it's the last book. At the time there was no plans for The Cursed Child that were public knowledge and I wasn't ready to let go. So I'll end this weeks prompt with a quote; 'Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'.

And that was my first ever #SixForSunday! I had a lot of fun with this, despite talking about crying the whole time. Next week we have books that make you laugh, so that should be more cheerful!

Thanks for reading! 

1 comment

  1. I love this list, makes me want to cry while reading it.
    Rue!!! T_T
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© Rebecca Stobart. Design by FCD.