The Song Rising Review

Friday 17 March 2017


Rating: 5/5
Source: Bought from Amazon UK

Following a bloody battle against foes on every side, Paige Mahoney has risen to the dangerous position of Underqueen, ruling over London's criminal population.

But, having turned her back on Jaxon Hall and with vengeful enemies still at large, the task of stabilising the fractured underworld has never seemed so challenging.

Little does Paige know that her reign may be cut short by the introduction of Senshield, a deadly technology that spells doom for the clairvoyant community and the world as they know it.



As a newcomer to The Bone Season series I had the benefit of not having to wait two years for The Song Rising, the downside to that is that I have now read three books in as many months and now I'm completely lost for what to do with my life. Samantha Shannon has fast become one of my favourite authors and I will be joining the masses in eagerly waiting for book four. 

Without wanting to incorporate too many spoilers from the previous two books, The Song Rising continues from where The Mime Order leaves off, Paige has become Underqueen and she really  matures in this book and spends a lot of time growing as a character. She comes to life in this book. 

Obviously she's been alive and kicking butt in the other too books but in this instalment of The Bone Season I think she really takes on that strong female lead role that she's been reluctantly trying to master the whole time. Being Underqueen comes at a cost, Paige has to her allies happy and interested, while also helping those under her leadership. On top of all that she has Warden

I'm the sort of person who will fall head over heels for a good ship and Warden/Paige do not disappoint in the slightest. I love them as a couple and their chemistry in The Song Rising is completely on point. Samantha Shannon was definitely writing for the fans, I was completely hypnotised throughout the Paige and Warden Scenes. After a tantilising slow burn you will not be disappointed with how things are progressing between them, I promise.

We get to see a lot of the world Samantha Shannon has built in this book. Scion and London are explored in a lot of detail, as well as this there is some branching out to the communities outside of London. As more of the world is explored we get a lot of character backstory and more twists. Following The Mime Order I have been suspicious of everyone, just who can Paige trust?

I was incredibly nervous for the end of this book, as I wasn't looking forward to waiting for a fourth installment. Nervousness was definitely justified as the finale of The Song Rising was possibly the strongest element of the book. While it is impossible to be left unsatisfied by this book, I definitely feel the pain that other fans felt while waiting for book 3. I need book 4 now. Please? No? Fine, I'll settle down for a very impatient wait. 

This book has the potential to be my favourite book of 2017 and it's only March, that could have something to do with reading all three books this year but from the look of everyone else's opinions, I don't think I'm alone in giving this book and Samantha Shannon such high praise. 

Photo from my Bookstagram account @ThisBookyPlace.


2 comments

  1. Isnt it amazing? Definitely the best of the series so far. Shannon has woven a story I just can't get enough of. Now, for the wait for the next book. *sob*
    Http://literaryweaponry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So amazing, I'm so completely obsessed with this series now. Both glad and annoyed that I waited so long to read these books <3

      Delete

© Rebecca Stobart. Design by FCD.